What is Micro-needling?
Micro-needling is a cosmetic medical procedure by which an electric skin needling device is used to create tiny channels in the skins surface layer to induce production of collagen and elastin. The device is pen-shaped, studded with 12 very fine needles. This medical device breaks down scar tissue, stimulates cell proliferation and improves the blood supply to the skin. The result is plumper, thick skin which reduces the appearance of scars, fine lines and wrinkles.
Description of the Procedure:
The skin is cleaned and numbing cream is applied to reduce discomfort. The needling device which has a sterile disposable tip with 12 micro-needles is used penetrate the skin. The device is adjustable and allows the provider to change the speed and depth of the needles and increases the absorption of products. For the best results, Hyaluronic acid or PRP (platelet rich plasma) are used during the procedure and rubbed into the skin channels.
The micro-needling procedure itself takes 15-20 minutes. The numbing cream applied before the procedure must sit for about an hour to be effective.
What should I expect after the procedure?
Most people will experience redness
and mild swelling similar to very mild sunburn for 24-48 hours. There may be
pin-point bleeding. Within a week or two you will notice that you skin is
smoother and more radiant looking but the full effects won’t be seen until a
few months later.
We recommend applying hyaluronic acid at home after the procedure. Preferably no makeup applied for 24 hours. We also recommend wearing sunblock for one week following the procedure.
How many treatments do I need?
For best results we recommend treatments be spaced 4-6 weeks apart. The number of treatments required to reach the desirable outcome depends on the skin condition. For example, fine lines and wrinkles typically improve after 3 treatments where acne scars can sometimes take up to 6 treatments.
What it’s used for:
- Reduce the appearance of stretch marks, scars, fine lines and wrinkles
- Pore size reduction
- Improves skin texture
- Stimulates tissue regeneration
Am I a candidate for Micro-needling? Micro-needling can be safely performed on all skin types and skin colors
However it is not suitable for patients who:
- Have used Accutane (isotretinoin) within the last six months
- Have open wounds, cuts or abrasions on the skin
- Have had radiation treatment to the skin within the last year
- Have any kind of current skin infection, condition, herpes simplex in the area to be treated
- Are pregnant or breast feeding
- Have a history of Skin cancer on area to be treated
- Have a history of keloid or hypertrophic scars or poor wound healing
- Have been diagnosed with Scleroderma, Collagen Vascular Disease, Rosacea, blooding clotting disorders, platelet abnormalities, anticoagulation therapy (i.e. Warfarin), dermatological diseases affecting the face (i.e. Porphyria),
- Scars less than 6 months old and Botox/facial fillers in the past 2-4 weeks.
- Precaution must be taken in patients with a history of eczema, psoriasis and actinic keratosis